Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Back Home

I've been home for 3 days now and am trying to play catch up. I've already jumped back into both jobs, church and hanging out with friends, so I apologize for the delay in writing about our last day in Honduras.

Thursday was definitely my favorite day. We only got to go to one school, but it was the one I enjoyed the most. The school was on top of a mountain, literally. We had to unload everyone from the Excursion so that Juan could drive it up the road. We hiked the rest of the way. Talk about a mountain top experience. It was beautiful. We could even see MEDA from there.

All the teachers, but one, were at a seminar that day. The one teacher left behind was with all the kindergarteners and 1st graders by herself. I don't know if she knew we were coming or not, but I'm sure she was happy that we came. The kids were so well behaved and super sweet. This was the poorest school we had been. Noah took my puppet for me, so I got to run around and take pictures.



Throughout the week, I was so thankful for all our translators. They were so patient and great at their job. Noah, Levi and Fernando went with us just about everywhere we went. I really enjoyed getting to know these guys and already miss hanging out with them.

 
Remember the Patterson family and Iris from my first post in Honduras? Someone found my blog when researching adoptions in Honduras. They somehow found the contact information for the Patterson's and have connected them with a group to help them with their adoption. I was so excited to hear this when Mrs. Patterson told me. It's great to see that God is using my blog to help others, especially such a great family that I had the honor of getting to know.

There is someone else that I met in Honduras that I really want to help. Her name is Genesis.

While in crafts, Mrs. Patterson could tell that she wasn't feeling well and asked her if she wanted to come sit with us. She nodded and was excited to take pictures with Mrs. Patterson's iPod touch, which now has a lot of pictures of me.

I asked her name and got her story as well. Her eyesight is very poor so she gets headaches a lot. It also greatly affects her school work. A lot of schools in Honduras do not have many textbooks, because they can't afford them. The kids have to copy everything out of the textbooks they do have. Genesis often makes mistakes when copying her school work, because of her vision.

Her family is unable to buy her glasses. I asked if someone donated the money would someone in Honduras be able to help her get glasses. Mrs. Patterson said yes, but there is another team coming in September that is hosting an eye clinic. They're hoping that Genesis will be able to get some glasses that have been donated. I asked that Mrs. Patterson let me know if she doesn't get any glasses, I would find money to get her some.

I met so many kids with similar stories to Genesis. I had the opportunity to speak to the youth Sunday school class this past Sunday and shared Genesis' and other kids' stories. I also get to speak at the adult Sunday school class this coming Sunday and hope that people will be more aware of the ministry our church has in Honduras and will want to go and be a part of it.

I didn't meet one Honduran that wasn't friendly and welcoming. It could be because we are American, but regardless they were sweet. Pastor Melvin and his family welcomed our team and others to their house our last night. We had a pinata and desserts. There were a lot of laughs and many happy taste buds.



I don't know if I'll ever be back in Honduras, but I said that my last trip there as well. God has a funny way about taking us places and putting us in situations that we never expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment