Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 1: Adventre Awaits

It is only a little after 9 PM and I'm about to fall asleep while typing this. Today was exhausting and energizing all at the same time.

I'm officially a metro expert. Okay, so not quite an expert, but I can navigate my way around DC. Martin dropped me off at the metro station after telling me what rails to take and showing me a super useful app that shows metro routes. Being from a suburban area, public transportation is scary and just not used, so having the metro as my daily commute is exciting. Judging from the coffee chugging, half asleep people on the train, I think I was the only person excited to be on the metro this morning. I easily found the office building after getting off at the Union Station stop. I had some time to kill, so I sat in a small cafe on the bottom floor of the the office building and I drank coffee before I decided to take the trek up to the 7th floor.

After going over a lot of intro and orientation kind of things, I was sent to work on research. Now research is not my favorite, but looking up what congressmen have supported and help get enacted is really cool. It ranged from human rights resolutions to the initiation of American Cowboy day.

I considered going back to the cafe for lunch, but knew that there was just too much that I wanted to see. I decided to buy lunch from a street vendor and eat while walking around and exploring. I waded through the middle school kids in their matching bright red shirts, checked out what the street vendors had to offer and even saved a basketball from being demolished by a bus and all in high heels. 

I'm still processing all that I learned and took in today and can't exactly organize it into a coherent readable format. I promise more details will come later. I'm already loving DC and can't wait to see all the museums and American history that I miss out on in Kentucky. I'm just down the street from the capitol and may or may not have snapped this picture while crossing the street.



I have so much more I want to see and do. This is definitely going to be a fun 5 weeks.


1 comment: