Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Job Searching

I realize that I still have another year of college before I graduate, but I'm already starting to freak out. I'm glad I didn't decide to graduate early, because the imminent beginning of starting a career would be even closer, plus, I love college life. As a planner and having a slightly type A personality, I've already started job searching, reading blogs and networking in hopes someone will want to offer me a job in a year or so.

Today, I was part of a live chat that MSNBC's Today, hosted with Alexandra Levit "a business and workplace author, speaker and consultant." People sent in their questions about entering the work force as a recent college grad.  I asked her what is a reasonable salary to except in an entry level job. She suggested that I check out salary.com, payscale.com and glassdoor.com to see what to expect for different areas of work. They are great resources and have a lot more info than just salary data.

People asked great questions and she had great answers. The picture below takes you to the Today Money site with the transcript at the bottom. The site has a lot of money saving tips as well.




I'm still debating between grad school and getting a job once I graduate. I always have the fear that I'll work retail until I can find a job, but I'll never really find one and forever sell lotion, mint smelling foot scrubs and will have to deal with middle schoolers who try to steal mini hand sanitizers. I know this is ridiculous, because the Lord already knows what he has planned for me and it will certainly be satisfying.

4 comments:

  1. I would highly recommend grad school in this day and age my friend. As someone who is both a grad student and an admissions counselor, I have definitely seen the increased emphasis on a graduate degree. If you have any questions, email me at keith_wynn@hotmail.com and we can talk further about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fan of going to grad school, I'm just trying to determine whether it would be worth while in my profession or if I could do just as well without going.

      Delete
  2. Yep, know what you mean. I'm two years out, but already trying to figure out after-college stuff. I'm no expert, but I think grad school has its benefits for some but for others it can be just a waste of money and time. I think this generally applies in art and media since your connections, demo reel, and work experience are essentially what get you your job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete