Monday, August 6, 2012

Celebrating the Olympics

The Olympic games are well underway and my patriotism is bigger than ever before. Not only am I proud to support Team USA and their stylish Polo getups, but I have multiple friends and hometown heroes that I'm excited to cheer on.

During the 2008 Summer Olympics, a high school friend, Elaine Breeden rocked the 200 meter butterfly and won silver. Unfortunately she did not make the team this year, but I'm still proud.
Lexington natives Lee Kiefer and Tyson Gay are representing Team USA in fencing and track.

They aren't the only people representing the great state of Kentucky in London. There are nearly 100 Asburians there as well. They are working with the local news station WLEX writing articles, creating short videos and even keeping a blog. Of course I've been ridiculously jealous and sad that I am not there with them sharing in all the fun. Thankfully I wasn't the only one left behind. The few of us remaining decided to have an opening ceremony celebration of our own.

My friends Laura and Katie invited several of us over to watch the ceremony, so of course we ate lots of junk food like good college kids do. I made red, white and blue cupcakes with "Go USA" written on them and Zach brought the necessary ingredients for loaf.

                                                       


I was really proud and Katie was really happy

I tried to google loaf to see if I could find a better explanation for it, but it seems that the rest of the world hasn't discovered it yet. Basically, it's a cookie dough log that has been baked and is eaten with ice cream. It's best to eat it one part cookie and one part ice cream on your spoon. If you enjoy eating raw cookie dough, this is a good way to satisfy that craving without the fear of salmonella. Very sweet and very filling, but so good.



This isn't everyone that was there, but the chef and sous chefs that made loaf.





I've missed these people and am so happy and excited to be around them 24/7 again, starting Thursday. That's right, Thurday and I'm back at Asbury. It can't be here soon enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment